Friday, November 18, 2005

There's only one Keano

I woke up this morning feeling rather stressed, pondering my perilous financial situation. And then I read the news. It's probably an indication of poor prioritization, but "Keane leaves United" immediately consigned the next mortgage payment to back of mind.

Just like that, it's over. From what I've been able to piece together, Roy Keane showed up for a reserves game, was told he wasn't required, had a bust-up with the manager, and has now left the club by "mutual consent."

I've only got a couple of things to say about it, the second of which I'm sure I'll be pilloried for by both my readers.

Firstly, United may never have had as great a servant as Roy Keane. His all round contribution to the club has been beyond immense, and he is one of the few for whom the tag "legend" is perhaps apposite. It's no co-incidence that our best years have come during his time in the middle.

Secondly, no player can ever be greater than the club or the team. My respect for Sir Alex has in fact increased immeasurably, even while I concede that I am far from informed as to the details of what transpired. Based on what I have gleaned from varous sources, Sir Alex made the decision that Keano's actions and statements of late were not in keeping with the principles and mechanisms that were expected and required by the club, and as a result, it was simply time to move on. One of the hardest things in life is to make a professional decision without allowing emotion to enter into it. It's the right thing to do, but few can do it well.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that Malcolm Glazer got on the phone last night and said "If you want to buy that Bollock dude, you have to take Roy Keen off the wage bill right now."

Thanks Roy, for 12 stupendous years, the like of which I may never see again.

No comments: