Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Edge of Marriage


Of course, many would say that marriage in it's entirety tends to rest on a pretty fine edge, but that's neither here nor there.

This book is, of course, a collection of short stories. As I've repeatedly said, I am not the biggest short story aficionado out there. So when I say that this is actually a pretty good read, that's not just damning with faint praise.

I still faced my usual frustration with the lack of any sort of closure, cliched or otherwise, in most of the stories - though the final pair of tales surprised me by winding up in some sort of a settled state. However, what set this collection apart from most for me was the fact that without fail, the stories were gripping. I don't know that Kaplan is a great writer, but she did a tremendous job of capturing the relationships she was describing, and the state of mind of her key characters.

Don't go out of your way - but if you come across the book, pick it up and you won't be disappointed.

No comments: